Hey everyone, welcome to the start of a brand new series on The Sol Compass! On Tuesdays I thought it would be fun to start sharing some things outside of fashion, beauty, and traveling that I love and enjoy. Today’s subject is Podcasts, so let’s dive right in!
I am a music lover through and through, so I usually turn to Spotify for background noise. However lately I’ve been so caught up in my head that I prefer a podcast on a quiet Sunday morning. Putting a podcast on for inspiring and thought provoking conversation really helps keep my brain moving! They’re also great if you have a long commute, an elliptical day (I really hate elliptical days), or a sink full of dishes to tend to! I love any opportunity to learn something, but sometimes I fall into the busy trap of not letting myself read enough. Enter the podcast, which allows you to multitask!
- TED Radio Hour. Hosted by Guy Raz, a prominent voice in the Podcast world, the TED Radio Hour uses TED talks, expert interviews, and fresh perspectives to unravel a topic and dive in to new ideas.
- How I Built This. Another Guy Raz podcast, this one is all about entrepreneurs, innovators, and exceptional creators who built powerful businesses, movements, and empires. Some favorites have been Spanx, Instagram, and Airbnb!
- Goal Digger. Any #girlboss trying to forge her way through a saturated market with her creative endeavor absolutely needs to listen to Goal Digger. Jenna Kutcher re-inspires me even on my hardest days where I wonder if I have what it takes to keep blogging.
- Patcast. I have to include Patcast because it was the first podcast I ever listened to (four years ago!). Pat Monahan, of Train, interviews musicians and artists he likes, and sometimes you get a nice little duet! They haven’t had a new episode for two years, but there are some great gems in the archives!
- Stuff You Should Know. This is B’s favorite podcast and what got me back into podcasting after a bit of a hiatus. SYSK covers a seemingly endless variety of topics in a conversational format and I always feel educated and informed about something new after listening to one.
- Strong Opinions Loosely Held. This Refinery 29 podcast is great for anyone who loves pop culture. As someone who actually isn’t always engaged in all facets of pop culture, I love seeing how it impacts our daily lives, even when we aren’t noticing it!
- Modern Love. As a literature lover I have a soft spot for love stories. Modern Love, from the New York Times column, shares some beautiful, heart wrenching, powerful essays of love, loss, and redemption. Be wary of this one, it can be a tear jerker!
- Crash On My Couch. Arden Rose and Will Darbyshire cover so many topics I don’t really know how to narrow this down. I feel like I’m hanging out with two friends as they touch on things all millennials want to know more about, such as friend breakups, Spongebob conspiracies, long distant relationships, and more!
- Anna Faris Is Unqualified. Anna Faris hosts this hilarious podcast, dishing out advice with a fellow celebrity each week on love and relationships. If you are looking for a feel-good podcast to lighten up your morning commute, this one will not let you down.
- 99% Invisible. This last one is super hard to describe but worth every listen. It brings to light the overlooked elements of design that exist all around us and propel our lives forward. You might never look at statues in New York City the same again!
I am super excited for next week’s Tuesday Ten (it’s already written!) so make sure you stop by again! Have a great week!