Whether it’s the weather or the PSL’s, it seems like everyone I know is in a perpetually good mood now that fall is here. It’s been a perfect time for me to unwind from a chaotic summer and have a few easy nights at home. Here’s everything I think you need to have the perfect one.
Face Mask. In my book, every perfect night starts with a face mask. In addition to being seasonally appropriate, pumpkin is packed with a plethora of skincare benefits thanks to the AHAs and vitamins. Essentially, it’s an exfoliant that brightens and smooths out your skin, while fighting sun damage and signs of aging. Yeah, kind of a big deal. I’ve been loving the Overtime Mask from Summer Fridays lately, but I also really enjoy the Peter Thomas Roth one that I was able to try in this kit!
Reading Material. Something about fall always makes me want to reread Harry Potter (B and I just marathoned all the movies over the past couple weeks, so that helped). I also have been loving the Dublin Murder Squad series, so I’ll probably be diving into Tana French’s latest The Witch Elm this weekend!
Bath Bombs. As a germaphobe, there is nothing I hate more than the idea of marinating in my own filth. However, it’s hard to deny the stress benefits of baths. Lately I’ve been having to force myself to run one every few weeks (even if it means I have to shower first!) I picked up a few of these bath bombs from Ulta and this Sandalwood Vanilla one just may be my favorite so far.
Mug. Whether your mug is for the perfect bedtime tea or seasonally appropriate chocolate…you do you. This one is from Target (I couldn’t find it online) but I also love this one and this one.
Candle. There’s a seemingly endless variety of autumnal candles in the world. This year my top choice is this Pumpkin Clove one from Anthropologie.
Playlist. I may have gone a little overboard with my spooky-pop playlist, since it’s 9 hours long. But that doesn’t change that it’s perfect for getting in the Halloween spirit.
Happy Tuesday everyone! Today’s Tuesday Ten is pretty straightforward. If you’re looking to get in the fall spirit but don’t want to hit up a crowded apple orchard (I don’t blame you – Sunday was insane), then look no further. I have ten fantastic ideas for you to embrace and celebrate autumn’s arrival!
- Get outside. Whether you’re going on a hike or just taking a stroll, fall is such a beautiful time of year to enjoy nature. On my list for Massachusetts is Walden Pond for a flat stroll and Mount Greylock for a hike (which I somehow have never been to!)
- Bake. Whether your baking involves apples or not, fall is the perfect time to fire up the oven again (does anyone else hate how hot the kitchen gets when you use the oven in the summer?!) Personally I’m a fan of some warm cookies outside in the cool fall air, but whatever floats your boat.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show. Rocky Horror is the only cult film I really follow along with, and I was absolutely devastated when Midnight Madness in Harvard Square came to an end (it’s just not the same Downtown!) Last year Jenn and I saw it in Austin at the Alamo Drafthouse (100% recommend checking this theatre out, read my post here for more info!) and the year before it we went to The Strand, a historic theatre out in Clinton, MA. Short story long, I definitely recommend trying to find a theatre with a shadow cast near you!
- Go antiquing. Last weekend was the first weekend in a while that B and I didn’t have a single plan. We took this opportunity to drive with the windows down and stop at each antique store along the way. We met so many kind people and found items with incredible history and character. You really just never know what you might find at an antique shop!
- Light a candle and read a book. After an active and busy summer, some down time is exactly what I need during September and October. My reading list has gotten out of hand, so I’m looking to put a dent in it finally. Whether your candle is fall scented or otherwise, it really puts me in the right mood to immerse myself in my book.
- Have a bonfire and outdoor movie night. Bonfires are one of my favorite things, and I don’t have them nearly as much as I wish I did. I want to get some friends together for one last round of s’mores and fire up the projector with a classic film!
- Food Festivals. There are so many awesome food festivals this fall that don’t even involve apples or pumpkins! This weekend there’s Fluff Fest in Somerville and Dumpling Fest in Cambridge! A quick Google search will give you a better idea of what’s going on in your area, but fall seems to always have a good number of food truck festivals at the very least!
- Get Lost In A Corn Maze. Something about corn mazes has always excited me. Maybe it’s because I love puzzles, but if you can find a corn maze near you I promise they aren’t just for kids!
- Make chili. While the days are still warm and sunny, New England nights have slowly but surely started to embrace sweater weather. I’ve been craving some homemade chili for most of September, and can’t wait to enjoy some curled up under a blanket!
- Stargaze. Whether you go to an observatory or your backyard, the fall sky is absolutely breathtaking.
What’s on your bucket list for fall? Let me know in the comments! Have a great day!
I was in Macy’s over the weekend and fell in love with this Southwestern Cardigan. It’s not too heavy, but super cozy and perfect for late October days! I sized up, because I think it would be so cute layered over a plaid flannel or a turtleneck as the weather gets colder- plus the pattern is great for Thanksgiving. I paired it with some ankle jeans and oxfords this weekend- after the winter we had in Massachusetts last year I have been incredibly resistant about pulling out my boots, since I know they’re the only shoes I’ll be wearing for the next five months. These oxfords from Madewell are incredible, and that’s not just my weakness for menswear talking! The leather is super breathable and doesn’t require any breaking in, I put them on the morning after they came in the mail and didn’t have to fight the urge to take them off once!
Outfit Details – Sweater: American Living | Top: J.Crew | Jeans: Old Navy (old, nearly identical pair here) | Hat: GAP (sold out, love this one) | Oxfords: Madewell (on sale!) | Necklace: J.Crew | Watch: Urban Outfitters | Bracelets: Banana Republic, LC Lauren Conrad (also love this one) | Rings: LC Lauren Conrad | Earrings: Banana Republic | Purse: Michael Kors
Thanks for reading, have a great week!
On days when my creative energy just isn’t there, I always reach for the same staples. This fall, they’ve been an oversized scarf and glasses paired with my favorite peep-toe booties and folder clutch. Throw these three items in and they can elevate even the simplest of outfits to the next level year round. My other go-to styling trick is usually a graphic tee layered under a denim or leather jacket. I can remember my mom teaching me about layering when I was eight years old, and the same trick still applies sixteen years later- layers make any outfit look better.
Outfit Details – Fender Tee: Lucky Brand | Denim Jacket: Lucky Brand | Scarf: Madewell (sold out, similar here and here) | Skirt: LC Lauren Conrad (old, similar here and here) | Sunglasses: Illesteva | Booties: Coach (similar on sale for $50 here!) | Clutch: Sole Society | Bracelet: Lucky Brand | Watch: Fossil | Lipstick: Too Faced ‘Spice Spice Baby’
Thanks for stopping by!
These Adam Lippes for Target pumps are closely edging in on my Prabal Gurung for Target heels for favorite pair in my closet. The silhouette is perfect, the pattern is fun, they’re comfortable, and they’re only $40- what more could you want in a pair of heels?!
Two stores I frequently visit for office-appropriate clothing are The Limited and Banana Republic– The Limited for their timeless pieces that will go with any and everything for years to come (like this blouse), and Banana Republic for their chic, office-appropriate interpretations of seasonal trends (like this faux leather pleated skirt).
Outfit Details – Blouse: The Limited | Skirt: Banana Republic (now on sale!) | Heels: Adam Lippes for Target | Purse: Kate Spade (similar here and here) | Earrings: Banana Republic (sold out, similar here) | Necklaces: Bauble Bar (here and here) | Bracelet: LC Lauren Conrad | Lipstick: Too Faced ‘Spice Spice Baby’
Thanks for much for reading! Have a great weekend!
This burgundy skirt has been on repeat with this warm weather lately! The color absolutely screams ‘fall’, but I get to hold onto precious skirt days for a little while longer! I love this vibrant blue top paired with the dark hued skirt, especially while colors in New England are out in full force! It was actually a bright blue sky situated next to some turning leaves that inspired me to pair these two colors together. I don’t know how anyone can spend time in New England during the fall and not feel inspired and in love with the beauty of nature!
Outfit Details – Top: Ann Taylor | Skirt: Ann Taylor (similar here, here, and here) | Heels: Mossimo (sold out, similar here) | Purse: Urban Outfitters | Sunglasses: Elizabeth and James | Necklace: Zara | Earrings: Bauble Bar | Rings: French Connection | Watch: Fossil | Nail Polish: OPI ‘Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not’ | Lipgloss: Nars ‘Turkish Delight’
Thanks for reading, hope you all have a marvelous week!
One of my favorite color combinations for fall is blush and burgundy. I love the romantic vibe they give off together and the way the blush can lighten up a dark and bold autumn color like burgundy and give it a fresh feminine twist. I try to avoid matching my shoes and my bag too frequently, since it seems safe and predictable, but I love the way the brown in my accessories anchors the whole outfit in the current season.
Outfit Details – Top: LOFT | Skirt: Ann Taylor (similar here, here, and here) | Heels: Calvin Klein (nearly identical version for $40 here) | Purse: Ralph Lauren | Sunglasses: Elizabeth and James | Necklace: Charming Charlie | Earrings: Bauble Bar | Rings: French Connection | Nail Polish: OPI ‘Louvre Me, Louvre Me Not’ | Lipgloss: Nars ‘Turkish Delight’
Thanks for reading, have a great week!
My unintentional style theme for the month of September so far has been mixing and matching- starting with summer and fall trends and now into professional and casual wear. I love the contrast between the feminine lace of this long and conservative pencil skirt and the dark denim of a tied chambray shirt. I find below the knee skirts are often unexpected on early 20somethings, and I think the fun chambray keeps this outfit youthful and unpredictable.
Outfit Details – Chambray: Ann Taylor | Pencil Skirt: Express | Booties: Ann Taylor | Bag: Ralph Lauren | Necklace: Nadri | Earrings: Banana Republic (similar here) | Watch: Fossil
Thanks for reading, have a great week!
As we edge further into fall territory, I can’t help but feel inspired by the traditional collegiate prep styles swarming the New England area. Stripes, navy, and graphic tees are three big ones that come to mind, but are still wearable in the 90 degree heat. This skirt has been my go to piece (seen here last week!) since the colors are a bit more autumn appropriate than most of my summer skirts, but its still light and short enough to be comfortable in these late summer days. Graphic tees are one of my favorite ways to make a statement about my personality, especially ones like this J.Crew for David Sheldrick ‘Save More Elephants’ tee. 100% of the net proceeds from it are donated to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, to aid in their mission to protect and preserve Africa’s wildlife.
Outfit Details – Tee: J.Crew for David Sheldrick | Skirt: Tommy Hilfiger (last seen here) | Heels: Circus by Sam Edelman (similar pair here) | Sunglasses: Karen Walker c/o Ditto | Necklace: Bauble Bar (sold out, similar styles here and here) | Fedora: David & Young | Watch: Fossil | Purse: Kate Spade | Lipgloss: Bobbi Brown ‘Petal’
Thanks for reading!
I love when someone asks where I got something and I can blurt out “Target!” with enthusiasm, as if I’ve been holding it in all day. I go to Target for pretty much everything (including fun), so I love when I can get some clothing shopping done there as well!
Faribault Woolen Mill Company (like Target, an amazing company originated in Minnesota) has an amazing collaboration with Target going on right now that you absolutely must check out! They have scarves, bags, throws, and more! Since Target is awesome, they are offering free shipping through the holidays! Happy Shopping!
Hat: Mossimo Supply Co. | Scarf: Faribault + Target | Blazer: Merona | Boots: Merona
Hat: Mossimo Supply Co. | Blazer: Merona | Boots: Merona | Scarf: Faribault for Target